Monday, August 29, 2011

It's The Littler Things In Life

August 29, 2011



As a kid, teen, or even as an adult, have you ever opened the biggest and prettiest present under the tree first? Just because it was large and extravagant? And left the smaller, plainer gifts for last because they weren't? Have you ever opened the largest and found nothing but balled up newspapers? And then in the smaller present found that new toy or diamond ring? 


I remember...it's always a tradition at my house to open one present from under the tree on Christmas Eve before we went to bed...and one time when I was about nine years old, I saw a huge wrapped box. Everything else was medium sized or small. Me, being the little kid I was, seeing the big box, decided that was the one I wanted to open that night. So my mom dragged it out from under the tree and set it in front of me, pointing a a video camera at me as I excitedly ripped the paper off of it. After I ripped away the paper and tore the tape from across the top of the box, I opened the flaps and peered in. At first I saw tons of balled up newspapers. I just thought 'hey its under the papers!' I took fistful after fistful of newspapers out of the box until I reached the bottom. I thought something was wrong, maybe mom forgot to put the present in. Or maybe I missed it {but the box was empty..? Idek. xD} so I turned the box upside down and shook...nothing. I looked through the papers. Nothing. I sure learned a lesson that night...don't be greedy and go for the largest, most extravagant gift when a smaller, better gift was right in front of me. And I was living it. Life is a gift within itself. 


Enjoy the smaller things in life. You don't need your own theater in your home to be happy, when you can stay home and rent a movie with some friends. You don't need millions of dollars and tons of friends who only like you for your wealth when you can be poor and have a nice circle of friends who like you for who you are. You don't need an overpriced, purebred pet when you can save an animal's life at the local shelter. You don't need money to be happy. You just need to wake up and smell the roses. You need to spread your wings and fly. You need to pull over to a dirt road somewhere, roll the windows down, and drive. Letting the wind blow through your hair. The wheels leaving a trail of dust behind you. 


The little things...
You don't have to be on the go all the time, on a nice day just go lay down in the grass and watch the clouds... At night, lay down and watch the stars twinkle, think 'Wow. Life is great.' 


Haters are gonna hate, but ignore them. They just don't understand that a home-made beaded bracelet that a child gave you is worth more than their diamond studded bracelet. 


Still don't see how little things are worth more than expensive, bigger things? 
Animals do. Look at cats, they may have a perfectly good, comfy kitty bed not even 2 feet away from them, but they still insist on sleeping in that empty drawer or that newspaper someone left on the floor or that old towel in the corner. Look at dogs, they may have an expensive talking, indestructible, re-enforced toy, but let them find a piece of cardboard or a stick and they'll go nuts. 
Teamwork FTW

Look at children. They may have a toy box stuffed full of toys, but give them a cardboard box and they'll be happy for weeks, imagining it's a house or a racecar or even a rocketship. They'll have adventures that are worth more than any Fisher Price toy. Give a child the empty tube from a paper towel roll and they'll use it as a telescope or a microphone. 

See now how the little things in life are great? One day, when you get older, ten years down the road, you'll think back to when you were a kid making things for your parents, blowing the fuzzies off of a dandelion, finding pictures in the clouds, dancing in the rain, splashing in mud puddles. Looking back to your teenage years, driving down a dirt road, windows rolled down, wind blowing your hair around, music blaring and singing along. Your adult years, receiving a flower (even though it's just a weed) from a grinning child,  smelling the roses in a garden. Those are memories you'll never get back, but you cherish. Those are memories that some people won't have because they never cherished the smaller things in life. This is where the smaller things turn into something bigger. Because memories are worth a lifetime. You'll never get them back, you can never change them. 


And that is what I leave with you guys today~ Enjoy the smaller things in life, they'll be worth way more to you emotionally than any material thing will ever be worth. Make memories to last a lifetime~ :)


Oh! Before I go, welcome new follower~ :) Up to nine :D


*~Keep your lights shining bright and enjoy the little things~
Isn't lightning pretty? It's amazing how even in the darkest of night, for one split second it can light up your world~ ^w^
*~KayKay




PS, just throwing this out there, none of these pictures I used are mine...it should be pretty obvious. The rights go to whoever's they are, of course. I'm just letting y'all know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment